Tasting: Beaujolais Nouveau

As a French major, I realized it is unacceptable that we are coming to the end of the semester and I haven't done a report on trying a French wine. Of course while I studied abroad, I drank almost exclusively French wine. Since returning to the states, I haven't had any French wine. 


This comes from the Beaujolais region of France and this bottle is the first of the 2017 harvest. I bought this for $15.99 at The Wine Gallery in south OKC. This is mostly made of the Gamay variety made by the Georges Duboeuf. The winemaker's notes are: "Vibrant red fruits, such as strawberries and currants, on the palate and an intense perfume." 

The smell seems intensely young with sharp fruity flavors. I get lots of black cherry, licorice, sweet vanilla. The taste is a perfect harmony of tannins and sweet cherry. Full bodied with a sharp finish, I was transported back to Clermont-Ferrand, France and walking down the street with a bottle in my hand, hoping I finish it before we get to the bar, but not wanting to miss out on enjoying the taste. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A toast, to wine!

Dinner: Land Run

Tasting: Bordeaux